Days 14-15 – Hours 6
I installed the fillets for the stems and bulkheads, one each night, and applied fiberglass tape to the stems. I did have to install clamps on the sides to bring them into the bulkheads. This was a lot of work in my little room and didn’t go easily. I pleaded with my assistant and got permission to move the work to the larger room as long as no sanding goes on there (dust).
Day 16 – Hours 2
I move the hull to the larger room and after leveling the sawhorse I applied the fillets to the inside of the bulkhead compartments. I started to coat the inside of the compartments, as the instructions say, but realized I was going to have a real problem removing the staples if I epoxied them to the hull. I can always complete this later.
Days 17-18 – Hours 6
Started filling the seams with epoxy. I do like the syringes supplied with the kit. They are simple and easy to fill by drawing the plunger up from the cup of epoxy. It is still a messy operation and runs will occur but I plan on painting the outside so it will work. It is difficult to get all the planks to seal well to each other. I had installed some additional wires is areas and tape in others where I could see light coming through from above and they still leaked. See photo. That did however seal the areas and the second apply of epoxy seems to work well. I hope to finish the seams by tomorrow and I can work on removing the wires. This will not be possible on the stems as they are bedded into the stem fillets. I do hope they will sand down smooth.
“The most important things are length, width and weight,” Kitt says. “You have to get the right boat for the right job. The main difference is distance. You have to determine how far you want to paddle. A longer boat goes farther with less effort”.